Sunday, May 25, 2014

It's a Privilege

I recently finished reading President Henry B. Eyring’s biography.  There are several things in his life that have made an impression upon me.  But there is one experience in particular I’ve been pondering a lot.


At the beginning of 1971, Henry B. Eyring was asked to serve as president of Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho).  As he prayed about what he should do, he struggled in getting a clear answer.  The only impression that came to his mind was “It’s my school.”  It was this thought that guided his decision to go to Ricks.

When President Eyring was asked to be president of Rick’s College, he was currently working as a professor at Stanford.  He was very successful, and some of his colleagues expected him to become dean of the business school and perhaps president of the university.  They were dumbstruck when he accepted the assignment to serve at a two-year college they had never heard of.  I’m sure that they, and many others, thought he was making a huge sacrifice.

A few years later, President Eyring was offered a high-paying, prestige-filled job in Southern California.  As he fasted and prayed about this decision, the Spirit whispered that he would have the privilege of staying at Ricks College “a little longer.”  When his uncle, President Spencer W. Kimball, asked him if he thought he was making a sacrifice, President Eyring said no. 

This story has impacted me in a rather profound way and caused me to view my life a little differently, which in turn has brought an added increase in my ability to find joy in the journey.

How many times in my life have I viewed my callings or responsibilities as obligations and sacrifices?  How many times have I felt I was sacrificing the things I really wanted to do for things I felt I needed to do as an active member of Christ’s church?  The answer--too many. 

There are many things we are asked to do as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  But the true reality is--serving in any capacity is not a sacrifice.  It’s a privilege.  As with President Erying, this thought should always guide me:  “It is my church.  And you have the privilege of serving in it a little longer.”

This happened to me as I was driving to the temple a couple weeks ago.  While going to the temple is something I truly want to do, sometimes I simply go because I know I should—because it’s the right thing to do.  Sometimes as I’m driving to the temple, I’ll see someone riding a bike and think, “I wish I had time to do that.”  But a couple weeks ago as I headed to the temple—and was feeling the stress of having so many things I needed to do, I thought to myself, “Going to the temple isn’t a sacrifice.  It’s a privilege.”  And something changed.  The reality of the blessings that come from being in the temple were deeply impressed upon me, and I absolutely knew that being in the temple was a privilege I did not want to miss.  And with that realization came an overwhelming sense of gratitude that this is something I can choose to do—and I experienced a great joy throughout the entire experience.

I often tell you kids to “Find Joy in the Journey.”  (Actually, I’m just quoting President Monson!)  J  But I am finding that one of the keys to finding joy is realizing that many of the things we perceive as sacrifices are, in reality, privileges wrapped up in disguise.  I’m sure President Eyring would agree.

Update:  June 18, 2014
I read this scripture from the Book of Mormon this morning--and loved it!
"Now, if a man desired to serve God, it was his privilege; or rather, if he believed in God it was his privilege to serve him."  Alma 30:9

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this. You're a great writer and a wonderful example to me. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Michelle's comment. I needed to hear this too.

    ReplyDelete