Sunday, September 13, 2015

Coincidence . . . I Think Not!

I thought I would include one of my personal favorite views when I walk outside in the morning.  It is 1.82 miles from our apartment to the temple.  So when I walk outside, I choose to walk to the temple.  It's an inspiring beginning to my day.
 
 
 
Tuesday evening Dad and I attended a reception for new teachers and then a dinner for all the faculty.  It was really good.  I was impressed with the new president, President Gilbert.  And it was fun to hear President Eyring's son, Henry Eyring, the Vice President of Academics, talk.  He looks and sounds exactly like his dad!
 
 
I had the best experience on Wednesday of this week.  I decided to attend a couple classes at the Family History Center in Rexburg.  The first class I attended was instruction on how to add pictures, stories, documents, and audio to family members' profiles on Family Search.  There was only one other person in the class--this sweet lady who sat across from me.

 
The instructor in the class started asking me where I was from and why I was here in Rexburg.  When I said that Dad would be a business management professor at BYU-I, this sweet lady said, "I used to be the Dean of the Business School."  Something clicked in my head.  I asked her, "Did you used to teach Accounting?"  She said she did.  I asked what her name was.  She said, "Irma Anderson."  I said "You're not going to believe this--I have to tell you a story."  I told her that when Dad interviewed with President Clarke, he asked Dad what got him into the business field.  Dad told him, "When I attended Ricks College 35 years ago, I had an accounting teacher named Irma Andersen that influenced me."  Dad asked if she was still around, and President Clarke told him she was retired but still lived in Rexburg.  What are the odds I would decide to attend this class, on this particular day, and get to meet her?!?!  Coincidence?  I think not!  The first thing I did after telling the story was ask if I could get a picture with her, and then I sent it to Dad.  It was a really sweet experience--and touched all the people around us who were listening.  And I think it meant a lot to her, too, to think she had an influence on a student who returned to teach at BYU-I 35 years later. 
 
 
It's been fun seeing old friends as they bring their children to school!  On Friday we got to visit with Paula and Steve Leishman and James and Angie Hall.

 
 
I decided to stop boring you with all our bike rides.  We rode 16 miles on Monday through the farmland . . . but I didn't take any pictures. :)
 
But on Saturday morning we drove up to Harriman State Park and rode.  It was a great ride and so much fun!  So sorry--I just had to take pictures again!
 
We started off biking through fields with lakes and meadows.



 
 
Look--it's Odette!
 
Then we rode to Golden Lake and ventured up into the mountains.

 
I told Dad to stop so I could get a picture.  He didn't appreciate being stopped half way up a hill!  Pa, ha!

 
Through the mountains the trail was extremely narrow and very sandy in parts.  We saw these tracks everywhere--which made us really nervous!  We have our bear spray, but we still consider ourselves to be city folk--who are not prepared to encounter a bear attack!

 
After coming out the mountains we rode around some lakes.

 
It was a great ride--12 miles.
 
After our ride we headed back to Rexburg to shower then down to Idaho Falls to try and finalize some things with our house.  Someone bought the lot we were planning to build on, so we ended up picking the lot right next to it.  Not our first choice.  And actually, it wasn't even our second choice--since we started with golf course lot.  But we think it will be fine.
 
Then we hurried back to Rexburg to have dinner with Jeannette, Roger, Allan, Becky, and Lauren.  It was fun--and I can't believe I forgot to take a picture!  Next time.
 
Dad speaks in church today.
And we're really excited for school to begin on Monday.
Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment